Keeping your pet safe at Easter

Easter can be an exciting time of year for both you and your pet with events such as Easter egg hunts that both your children and pets can be involved in. However, it is essential that as a pet owner you are informed about the potential dangers to your pets, and how you can take necessary precautions to protect them.

Plastic Easter Eggs

Keeping your pet safe at Easter, Easter Pet Safety at EasterThe use of many different kinds and types of eggs is a very common occurrence in Easter eggs hunts. However, while there is evidence that eggshell is an excellent source of calcium and protein for your pet Easters eggs can be harmful for your pet.

The reason for this is because often the Easters eggs used for hunts are decorated with glitter and paint. This means that these eggs have the potential to cause pets serious digestive problems if swallowed. These eggs can cause even more harm if they are plastic or hard boiled as it means they can result in respiratory irritation or obstruction problems.

This risk can be avoided for your pet by using non-toxic colouring on your eggs or by making sure that the plastic eggs that are used are too big for your pet to swallow. A further alternative is for your pet to take part in a pet-only neighbourhood egg hunt which often is organised via social network.

Flowers

In addition, it is also worth being aware that some of the plants and flowers that are commonly kept in people’s homes, during this period, can be dangerous to pets.

Keeping your pet safe at Easter, Easter Pet Safety at EasterEaster Lilies
These are one of the most dangerous plants and are often kept in people’s homes during the Easter holiday. The flower can cause your cat to have kidney failure if it nibbles, or grooms the pollen onto it’s paws.

 

Amaryllis

Keeping your pet safe at Easter, Easter Pet Safety at EasterThe Amaryllis flower can cause your pet to start vomiting, drooling and abdominal pain. In some extreme cases it can cause a pet’s blood pressure to drop or breathing problems. The bulb is the most dangerous part of the flower.

 

Keeping your pet safe at Easter, Easter Pet Safety at EasterCyclamen

The Cyclamen flower can often be found in garden centres and supermarkets. It is imperative that you avoid your pet from biting the roots of the flower, as it can cause serious problems for your pet. This is because eating even a small amount can cause drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea, while larger amounts can result in heart rhythm abnormalities, seizures and at worst, death.

 

Sugar Free Sweets / Raisins

Moreover, while hopefully you are aware of the health problems that chocolate can cause to your pet. It also worth being aware of the health effects that sugar free sweets and certain foods can have.

The example of Raisins which has become increasingly common in Easter celebrations shows the importance of being aware the health effects that seemingly harmless foods can have. A particularly toxic ingredient for dogs can be found in many free sweets xylitol. This is because even a small amount can cause your dogs blood pressure to heighten resulting in a seizure and in some extreme cases death.

Easter Grass

Finally, it is well known by all cat owners that they love anything that moves. Easter grass is irresistible as it moves easily in the breeze and makes interesting sounds. However, Easter grass if ingested can result in a Linear Foreign Body. This can cause vomiting or straining to defecate and a painful abdomen. It is recommended that you call a veterinarian if you suspect your cat has eaten Easer grass.

Keeping your pet safe at Easter, Easter Pet Safety at EasterAnd don’t forget chocolate Easter Eggs!

Chocolate is derived from the roasted seeds of Theobroma cacao, which contains certain properties that can be toxic to animals.

A naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean, theobromine increases urination and affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle. While amounts vary by type of chocolate, it’s the theobromine that is poisonous to dogs. Chocolate consumption by dogs can lead to hyperthermia, muscle tremors, seizures, coma and even death.

You can recognise that your dog has eaten a toxic dose of chocolate from the symptoms. Within the first few hours, the evidence includes vomiting, diarrhoea or hyperactivity.

As time passes and there’s increased absorption of the toxic substance, you’ll see an increase in the dog’s heart rate, which can cause arrhythmia, restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increased urination or excessive panting.

(Article source: Jordan Creed)


Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *