A family pet has been hailed a hero for saving a one-year-old girl from choking to death. Little Chloe Showell was in her bedroom when she began vomiting and started to choke.
The Express reports that Louie, a four-year-old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, heard her cries and raised the alarm by barking and running around the flat to alert Chloe’s mother Shannon Weeks. The 23-year-old went to see what was wrong and found Chloe face down in her cot and pale. Shannon said: “All I could do was scream. She was really pale and her lips were light blue. It was the worst night of my life. Louie is my hero. If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t have my beautiful daughter.” The dog belongs to Shannon’s grandmother, Maureen Tarrant, who was visiting at the time last month. Chloe had starting choking after falling sick at around 11pm. When Shannon initially heard Louie barking, the mother of two thought it was at someone walking past her flat in Dartford, Kent. She added: “But he just kept barking and barking. He was running in and out of the rooms and going back to Chloe. I said to my nan, ‘There is something wrong’. “I went out and saw him outside Chloe’s room. She had vomited and choked on her own sick. It was a huge shock.” Chloe’s dad Tom, 24, rushed her to nearby Darent Valley Hospital. She had been suffering from bronchitis and a viral tummy bug, but she has since made a full recovery. Shannon said: “The doctors said if it hadn’t been for Louie and if I hadn’t got there when I did, Chloe may not have survived. He really did save her. Chloe was terrified of him but now they’re inseparable.”
(Story source: The Express)